'Ol Dave's Woodshop - Where woodworkers are not all Pros  

'Ol Dave's Woodshop - Where woodworkers are not all Pros
                                                                   "Where woodworkers are not all Pros"
  Home | Articles | Plans | Tips | Tools | Jigs | Resources | Shop Tours | Projects | Links | Woodworking Indexes | About Me | Contact Us


Google
 
Here is the another one of my favorite projects.  It was built to go with the kitchen cabinet project that I had recently completed.  The design was based around a set of plans for a Shaker sideboard that I found in the February/March, 2007 issue (No. 127) of The American Woodworker Magazine.  The original design had typical Shaker styles and rails utilizing flat paneled doors and wooden door and drawer knobs.
Modified shaker sideboard
I modified the design slightly to match the cope and pinned styles and rails used on my kitchen cabinets.  I also used the same burnished copper styled handles and hinges that I used on my kitchen cabinets.  Other than that, the plans were followed exactly as drawn. The photo on the right is a view of the finished sideboard.
There were a couple of new challenges for me while building this sideboard of which I had never encountered or attempted previously. 
One of those challenges was building the corner legs.  I had purchased a large plank (or board) from a friend who had cut down several trees in 2001 from his lot prior to building his new home.  He hired a firm with a portable sawmill to come in and cut the trees into rough lumber.  He had them cut the trees into several widths and lengths and then he stacked them with stringers in his barn.  He had cherry, red & white oak, walnut, ash and sycamore.
I purchased a piece of his red oak in a plank that was roughly 4 1/2" thick X 14" wide X 48" long.  You can see a couple of pictures of this plank in the back of my pickup truck below.
Oak plank on edge in my pickup truck.
Oak plank laying flat in my pickup truck.
When I got this piece home, I began contemplating on how I was going to get it sectioned into lengths of the right size to begin making the corner legs.  The first thing I did after jointing one of the sides, was to get it up on my table saw.  I then raised the saw blade as far as it would go (which was not enough height to cut through the entire thickness of the board).  I set the fence for ripping four inch wide pieces.  I did make an attempt to rip the pieces but my older, under powered saw couldn't handle the rip and bogged down about 6 or 7 inches into the cut.

Now what?  Guess I'll set up my roll stands on both sides of the band saw and see if that would work.  Nope!  That didn't work either, the blade began to drift on me.  Well now, I wonder if I could cut this with my 30 year old circular saw?  That worked for a while until the handle got so hot I had to put on some gloves.  About one and one half rips, the smoke started rolling out of the saw motor.  So much for that!

This all led me to Lowe's to purchase a new DeWalt circular saw.  Arriving back at the shop, I unpacked the new saw and continued the ripping process.  I can't believe how easily that new saw waded through that hunk of wood.......just like butter!  After completing the rips, I moved back to the jointer to flatten two adjacent sides of four pieces that I intended using and then moved to the planer to finish getting the thickness down to the planned size.  You can see some of the pictures of this process below.
 
This photo shows a couple of the leg boards after ripping with the new circular saw.
This photo shows me retrieving one of the leg boards from the exit side of my DeWalt model DW734 twelve inch planer.
Here you can see me feeding one of the corner leg boards into the planer.
Rough cut leg boards after ripping.
Image of leg board from exit side of planer.
Feeding a corner leg blank into the DeWalt planer.

Once the boards were all planed to the correct thickness, I set up the table saw to cut the tapers on the ends.  I then made rabbets on the legs that was to be the inside corners of each leg to adapt to the corners of the base cabinet as the plan called for.  There was a lot more detail work involved with this whole project than is shown in these photos and in the photo of the base cabinet prior to leg assembly shown below.

View of base cabinet prior to assembly of corner legs.
I also purchased two seven foot long five quarter boards for the top from Johnson's Workbench and had them planed down in their shop.  I jointed them, edge glued them and cut them to final length after the glue had dried.  After mounting the top on the case, I routed a beveled edge around the sides and front of the top.  Upon completion of the case and top, I moved on to making the doors and three upper drawers using the same dovetail drawers and cope & pinned doors that I had used on our kitchen cabinets.  This page doesn't show everything along the progression of this project, but you should be able to get some kind of an idea of the process from this page. 

As always, comments are welcome and you can get them to me by the e-mail address below.
 

Dave
dave@oldaveswoodshop.com
 

'Ol Dave's Woodshop - Where woodworkers are not all Pros footer  


Links | Home  | About Me  | Contact Us  |  Sitemap | 
Site designed by Dave Haynes  This page last updated on March 17, 2013
Copyright © 2008-2013 Adept Resources. All rights reserved.
Bookmark and Share