|Home | Articles | Plans | Tips | Tools | Jigs | Resources | Shop Tours | Projects | Links | Woodworking Indexes | About Me | Contact Us|
started out by ripping the rails and stiles as well as the two corner blocks
at the top of the frame to 2 1/4" widths as called for in the plan.
After all the rabbets were
cut and the pieces were final sanded, I laid the rails and stiles face
down on the flat surface of my table saw side table and glued them in place
and clamped them to dry. You can see the clamped up frame in the left photo
below and the dried frame after unclamping it in the lower right photo.
The next step was to drill a 1/2" diameter hole at the top (and on the back side) of the two stiles to accommodate the eventual mounting of keyhole hangers that would be used to mount the mirror on the wall. I didn't get a picture of this operation though.....sorry about that!
I then moved on to cutting the mirror top, cap and lower shelf to size. After completion of this step, I mounted a 1/2" cove bit into my router at the router table and used this setup to make coves under the front and ends of the mirror top. Then I retrieved the corner blocks for the top of the frame and used this same router table setup to make coves at the bottom of these two blocks.
After the coves were made
on these pieces (and they were final sanded), I glued them up and clamped
them together in two different steps. The first step was to clamp
the top and cap together and to the frame top. That can be seen in
the left photo below. When this had dried and been unclamped, I glued
up the top blocks just below the top and cap and onto the stiles as shown
in the right photo below.
The next step was to move on to making the case for the lower drawers. After cutting the case top, bottom and sides to size, I set up my router table with a straight sided bit and routed a 1/4" deep rabbet at the same thickness as the top and bottom pieces on the top & bottom of the side pieces.
After completion, I changed the depth of the setting to the same thickness as the paneling I was going to use for the back of this "box" and routed the back edges of all the pieces. I made a box divider to be used in the final assembly, sanded all the pieces to 220 grit and set them aside for later.
The photo on the left is how everything looked before the actual mirror was installed and the drawers where made and installed. I ordered a beveled mirror (cut to size) from a local glass supplier and then following the plans, made two drawers to fit into the case.
All there was left to do at this point was to stain everything and apply the final finish. I used Varathane® Golden Oak gel stain and two coats of Minwax® clear satin urethane finish, using #0000 steel wool between the two coats. The photo here on the right shows the final assembly and drawers after the staining was completed.
This was another fun project for me and, as always, your comments are welcome.
|Links | Home | About Me | Contact Us | Sitemap ||
|Site designed by Dave Haynes This page last updated on March 17, 2013|
|Copyright © 2008-2013 Adept Resources. All rights reserved.|